Too much time with my ass-glued to the trading chair this week, so zero projects to update on except a few small ham radio thingies.
Of course, I could take a picture of the ashpit dump out back where I dumped the contents of the burn barrel this week? Of pictures of the squared-way 100-meter range which got a haircut Saturday?
Instead, I thought I’d go back and audit the shop. You know, pretend I’m a big shot (BS) and just flew in from out of town. Now, after a night of wild partying on the company credit card, let’s go through some of the Shop Supplies you might find useful in Ure world.
Apartments and Minimalists
As of today, we have ordered (gag!) 510 items from Amazon year to date. It sounds like a lot, but why go to town when my UPS guy can make $100K schlepping shit out to us in the woods?
If you have chosen to “confine yourself to small quarters” here are some of the items we found useful around the joint.
- Rubber Feet, 232 Pieces Clear Adhesive Bumper Pads Self Stick Furniture Bumpers Buffer Pads, 4 Shapes for Doors, Cabinets, Drawers
The backstory on this is Elaine’s got this marble (green, goes with the kitchen tile) cheese cutter. Lost a foot. I didn’t have anything that matched. Now, she has an old paint can that is running over with feet, furniture pads, and what have you.
- Proxicast Pro-Grade Extra Strong 30mil Weatherproof Self-Fusing Silicone Rubber Sealing Tape For Outdoor Antenna Coax & Electrical Cables, Hose/Pipe Leaks & Emergency Repairs (1.5″ x15′ roll) – Yellow
This is like Coax-Seal but cheaper. And who is cheaper than me? Yellow means I can find the end of a cable.
- Gorilla 2 Part Epoxy, 5 Minute Set, .85 Ounce Syringe, Clear, (Pack of 6)
We believe in “sticking to it” until a project is done. These ensure the project will stick around, for a while, too. Used on everything from small furniture dings (sanded and covered with Olde English furniture polish) to holding up the front gate.
- Baking Sheets Set of 5, Bastwe Stainless Steel Baking Pan Tray Cookie Sheet, Size 10 x 8 x 1 inch, Non Toxic & Healthy, Rust Free & Easy Clean
If you have pets, and want to do something “100-year Toaster-ish” stop buying all the cheap paper and foam crap. Use these to feed the wild animals on. These only blow away in hurricanes unlike plastic foam bowls which have been track-down 12-miles downwind of us.
- Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor Adjustable Cuff Home Automatic Digital Blood Pressure Machine LED Large Screen Display Bp Monitor Dual Users Mode with Portable Storage Bag
We have put one or two of these in front of all the televisions here. Seems to work equally well for measuring stupidity impacts from either party.
- AT&T TRIMLINE 213-11 Corded Home Phone with Extra Big Buttons & Visual Ringer. No AC Power Required, Improved Easy-wall-mount, Lighted Keypad, 10 Speed Dial Keys, Volume Control, Senior Friendly. BLACK
We got a couple of these when the local twisted pair went down. Just in case. We figured one for the house and one for the shop. But if you’re a minimalist, get two anyway. You can call yourself.
- Hefty SteelSak Heavy Duty Large Clean-Up Trash Bags, 39 Gallon, 28 Count
In the event of an emergency, where does the trash go? Maybe Jimmy Hoffa? Point is, you can never have too many garbage bags. Unless you own an auto wrecking yard or living within a short drive of Lake Mead.
- KitchenAid Citrus Juice Press Squeezer for Lemons and Limes with Seed Catcher and Pour Spout, Lemon, 8 inches
Elaine said “Squeeze me!” I think this is what she meant.
- Tecsun Digital PL368 AM/FM/LW/SW Worldband Radio with Single Side Band Receiver (Black)
Works, but has an odd quirk which you can read about in my Amazon review of it (somewhere over this way).
- GQ GMC-500Plus Geiger Counter Nuclear Radiation Detector Monitor Dosimeter, White
When the nukes go off, we want to be ready. (God, isn’t it fun to be so focused on prepping?). I’ve told Elaine when to baste us.
- Marble Run, 135pcs Marble Maze Game Construction Building Toys for Kids, Marble Track Race Set STEM Learning Toys Gift for Boys Girls 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10+
ONLY makes sense if you have lost your marbles, already. We’re in luck!
- Peak Refuel Basecamp Bucket 3.0 | 480g Protein | 10180 Calories | 100% Real Meat | Premium Freeze Dried Backpacking & Camping Food | 24 Servings | Ideal MRE Survival Meal
We bought a few more of these because even if you have lost your marbles, you still will need chow when the phones are down, and you’ve found some of these:
- Murtenze 12 Pack 2.5 Inch Door Hinge Cabinet Hinge,Silver Butt Hinges Ball Bearing Hinges Window Hinges Outdoor Hinges with Mounting Screws
These were great because we were already unhinged.
Prepping the Farm
See last Sunday’s review of the wood stove. It will be placed on this when it shows up Wednesday (at least in theory):
- VEVOR Stainless Steel Equipment Grill Stand, 24 x 28 x 24 Inches Stainless Table, Grill Stand Table with Adjustable Storage Undershelf, Equipment Stand Grill Table for Hotel, Home, Restaurant Kitchen
Vevor seems to make reasonable stuff. Only thing is, this has been on the way for nearly three weeks now.
- Dräger X-plore 1750 C N95 respirator mask made in the US | 20 NIOSH-approved respirators, universal fit
You can never have too many N95s in the shop. So with some projects ahead with treated wood – plus at the yahoos in DC talking about another variant coming along, we figured no time like the present.
- TITANflex Thor Grip Heavy Duty Green Industrial Nitrile Gloves, 8-mil, XL, Box of 100, Gloves Disposable Latex Free with Raised Diamond Texture Grip, Powder Free, Rubber Gloves, Mechanic Gloves
Well, that’d go with the decontamination preps, right? Besides, if there’s no next virus round, we could always resell them to a proctologist trying to add a bit of panache to the practice, eh wot?
- TMZ All Terrain Utility Folding Wagon, Collapsible Garden Cart, Heavy Duty Beach Wagon, for Shopping, Camping, and Outdoor Activities (Blue)
Real fat plastic wheels on this bad boy – so it’s easy to pull on the lawn, gravel, and around the living room. (NO!!??) Usually on sale at the end of summer. I got Elaine a bikini for Christmas, too…
- Simpli-Magic 78966-100PK Shop Towels 14”x12”, Red, 100 Pack
- And the companion buy: StorageRight 90L Large Laundry Basket, Laundry Hamper, Dirty Clothes Hamper for Laundry, Collapsible, Waterproof Laundry Baskets with Foam Protected Aluminum Handles for Laundry, Dorm, Family (Black)
When I started to clean up the shop, I got rid of paper towels and went with microfiber and cotton. So, I needed somewhere to put them. Now, not only do I not have time to clean up the shop, but I don’t have time to do the shop laundry now, either. I keep telling myself “This is progress!”
No, it’s not. I’m going to spend less time trading in October and more time working with power tools, so we don’t have to do creative writing adventures like this one every so often.
Before going into town, I always try to look at “my list” of small parts that might be useful in upcoming projects and small repairs. Another thing some people do is keep a list of all the important measurements in their life. Spouses “main numbers” (Elaine wears a size 7 women’s shoe, for example). Also in the book are dimensions for key items around the house. Pipe diameters for each room’s plumbing for example.
Most of these things are (or should be) in your head without paper. But there will be small details you will forget over time. Example just this week it took me 10-minutes to recall that when I wired the house, all the house exterior outlets were centrally wired to one ground fault unit in the master bath. Symptom was no power in the lean-to greenhouse at the other end of the building. They don’t call ’em “paper brains” for nothing. Amazing what you can keep in a small flip open notepad!
But even this doesn’t work if you don’t look at it or take it when you go shopping. Unbelievably useful even in the housewares section of the supermarket.
Now, go do something useful. I have important coffee drinking on my list now..
Write when you get rich,